Thursday, October 25, 2012

How to teach The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in the classrooms?


           The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a classic novel that deals with issues such as racism, violence, slavery, intellectual education, moral education, etc. The question that has started a debate with this book is “Should The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn be taught in classrooms?” As a future English teacher, I believe that this novel should be taught in the classroom because it allows students to learn about things such as slavery in the perspective of a teenager rather than some history book.

            If I were to teach this book in my classroom, I would start my lesson plan with a lesson on African-American/slavery history because this will give students a background on slavery and the word “nigger.” Student will learn the ins and outs of slavery and how the word “nigger” came into existence. I think that giving students a brief introduction on slavery and African-America history can help them understand the reason why Mark Twain uses the language he uses. 




Throughout the novel, I would allow my students to express their opinions on issues such as slavery, racism, etc. This would allow students to share what they have to say about the book. I would incorporate an assignment where students get to become a slave and argue why they should be freed. I would allow my students to write another letter role playing as Huck Finn and writing about similar experiences from that of the student’s life and the novel. I think that incorporating these writing assignments give students a voice about major issues and helps them learn how to deal with them and also learn about the issues. The issue of slavery can be incorporated into the bigger lesson plan of teaching students about race. Most teachers and students don’t feel comfortable talking about race and it has become a taboo subject. This book can help students learn about racism.    
            After reading the entire novel, I would break my students into two groups. One group would argue why The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn should be taught in the classroom and the other group would argue against teaching this book in the classroom. I would use this debate as a way to give my students a voice and it could—in a way—undermine the big controversy. In my opinion, this book is not a “bad” book. I think people (especially adults) think the book is inappropriate because it uses the word “nigger” multiple times but students would catch this but not think that it is something bad. I just think that this issue shouldn’t be an issue especially in this century where were supposedly over racism! 

1 comment:

  1. Ivan
    I really appreciated your post. It was refreshing to hear someone who had the same opinion as me on the stance that Huck Finn should be taught in classrooms. In the famous words of Jon Stewart, "I will not censor myself to comfort your ignorance"--I don't think it's fair to the young people who will be in our classrooms to shelter them and say this word is too inappropriate to be in a book we read in class. If they're exposed to it and learn about the context and history around the word, they'll know why it's such a negative word--and maybe it will spark some curiosity in them to go out and research things concerning slavery, Mark Twain, or his time period in general. I am definitely going to teach this book in my future classroom. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete